Tuesday, January 8, 2013

High End Quality, Low End Price

If you're a makeup junkie (like myself), you know that if you don't have a serious eye primer, putting on eyeshadow is nothing more than a waste of time.  Without primer, eyeshadow begins fading and creasing within a few hours.  Using a primer keeps the colors vibrant and stops them from fading throughout the day.

Although a few drug store brands are beginning to develop eye primers, none seem to hold up against brands such as Urban Decay or Too Faced.  Over the past few years, I've been using Urban Decay's Primer Potion in "Eden" on a daily basis.  It's a  fabulous product which does everything it claims to.  Between running from school to work, I've really put this primer to the test and it's come through for me every time, stopping my shadows from fading, keeping my eye makeup crease-free the entire day, and creating a smooth surface to work with.  Some days I'll be out of the house for 12-14 hours so I need some serious staying-power.

So I think it's safe to say I have a pretty high standard when it comes to eye primers, which is why I didn't believe a lower-end product would be able to get the job done.  I was stunned by the NYX High Definition Eye Shadow Base.  This product completely exceeded all my expectations!  It gives me the staying-power I need and creates an incredibly smooth base to work with.  This is an amazing and affordable product and I really don't see myself repurchasing Urban Decay's Primer Potion.  


The only major difference between these two products, is color and texture.  The NYX base is much smoother and feels more like a face primer than the Urban Decay one.  (The texture reminds me of NYX's Shine Killer or Hard Candy's Sheer Envy Primer).  And for those of you who have used Urban Decay, you know some of their primers are a tinted and provide a bit of coverage for any discoloration on the eye lids.  The NYX base dries almost clear so if you are looking to cover any redness, this may be a product you'll want to pass on.

(I know NYX Cosmetics line can be a more difficult to find, which is unfortunate since it's such a great brand.  All of NYX cosmetics are also hypoallergenic and cruelty-free!  I usually buy mine from Ulta, Sears or Harmon Discount Health & Beauty.  Some people have also found NYX in Christmas Tree Shops, so keep your eyes open!)

http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?skuId=2225922&productId=xlsImpprod3020041&navAction=push&navCount=1&subdoc=51nyx20off&categoryId=cat40006

2 comments:

  1. I love NYX products, especially their lipglosses and blushes. Great post!

    http://thelifeofyouraveragetwenty-something.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! This is one of my favorite brands and I feel like it is often overlooked.

      Delete